How To Use This Site
Welcome to LASchoolFinder.com, the premier online parent resource for all Orleans Parish public schools, created by the Louisiana Association of Public Charter Schools.
- This site contains the tools and data you need to make informed decisions and select the right school for your child. Please read the information below to learn how to use this website.
- And remember: you can use the OneApp shortcut, located at the top of the website to fill out and submit your OneApp school
The “Find a School” shortcut, located on the right-hand side of the home page, allows you to quickly begin your school search by either:
- Typing in a school name or
- Selecting the desired school letter grade, grade level, zip code or school type.
Also: be sure to explore the News, Events, Resources, & Helpful Links sections located at the bottom of the Home Page. These sections will give you access to the most current news items and upcoming events for various school-related programs, as well as connect you to other websites like the Louisiana Department of Education, the Recovery School District, and the Orleans Parish School Board.
Find A School
The Find a School section allows you to locate the school of your choice by using several different search options:
- If you know the name of the school you are looking for: simply type it into the search box located at the top right hand corner of the site and click “search.”
- If you do not have a particular school in mind, use the search options on the left side of the map to narrow your choices:
- You can search by School Profile: school letter grade, grade level, zip code, & school type (such as RSD or OPSB).
- Or you can search by Address: searching for schools that are within a desired mile radius from your selected address or zip code.
The results of your search will be both shown on the Map and listed below with information on grades level served, school type, and school letter grade, if applicable.
- If you want to learn more about a school, click on the name of the school to see its profile page
Compare Schools Section
The Compare Schools section allows you to compare up to four school profiles at one time and lets you narrow your comparisons by selecting the Fields that are most important to you:
- Step One: Select up to four Comparison Fields such as: “Total Enrollment,” “Teacher Ratio,” “Graduation Rate,” and “SPS.” To make a selection, simply click on the small box directly to the left of the listed Field, the box will become highlighted when selected. To de-select a Field, click on the small box again to remove the check mark, the box should no longer be highlighted
- Step Two: The chart listed below the Comparison Fields section will give you a list of all Orleans Parish public schools and the
corresponding data for the Fields you selected. At the very top of the chart, you will see the headers, “school” and your chosen Comparison Fields. Click on those headers to view the information in either ascending or descending order. For example by clicking on “school” you can view the chart in alphabetical order by school; by clicking on “SPS” you can view the list in order of either lowest SPS score or highest SPS score, etc.. Again, this comparison charter lists all public schools located in Orleans Parish.
- Step Three: To narrow your comparison, check the box next to the schools you would like to compare more in-depth. You can choose up to four schools at one time. Once you have made your selections, click the “Compare” button to the left of the chart.
- Step Four: You will now see a side-by-side profile comparison of the schools you selected. You will be able to easily compare such factors as length of school day, sports & extracurricular activities, and whether the school has before or after school care programs.
The School Data section gives more an in-depth analysis and charts the history of a school’s LEAP and School Performance Scores, ACT and End of Course testing data, high school graduation and dropout rates, student stability, class size data and more.
In this section, you can either look at data over the last two years for a more accurate snapshot of how a school is doing now, or over the last several years to see how well a school has progressed over time. Both features will help you make informed decisions about your child’s future.
There are two ways to access the data section:
- Use the main navigation bar by scrolling your mouse over the data tab and clicking on the dropdown box called Explore.
Once you are on the Explore page, choose a school and press “search.” OR
- You can access the data section directly from a school’s profile page by clicking the more data tab at the bottom of the
left navigation bar of the school page. The link will take you directly to the data section for the school you are currently
School Profile Page
A school’s profile page contains all of the data and information needed to help parents make informed decisions when selecting a school. Here, you will find basic information such as the school’s mission, contact information, website, and the various programs offered.
Explore a school’s profile page to not only obtain an overview of the school, but to also learn other key factors such as its demographics, lunch programs, and special education data.
LA School Finder has partnered with the Recovery School District to make applying to schools an easier process for families. After using LA School Finder to research the schools that interest you most, simply click the OneApp button located at the top of each LA School Finder page to submit your OneApp application online for participating schools!
- Note: while a majority of public schools in Orleans Parish participate in the OneApp program, not all do. So while researching schools on LA School Finder, be sure to note which schools participate and which do not. Also, pay attention to application deadlines and carefully follow instructions for each application process.
Support LA School Finder!
Follow LASchoolFinder.com on Social Media by clicking the twitter and Facebook links at the bottom of the screen to like and follow our page.